Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cochlear Implant-Part II

Here's an update about my cochlear implant. Kirk & I went to St. Vincent's Hospital on 3rd & Alvarado in LA on Monday 6/29. He fasted with me, prayed and read in the waiting room. My surgery finally began at 3:30pm. My surgeon was assisting a brain surgeon, and so was late starting mine. He said my surgery was a "textbook" surgery. He made a tiny incision into the cochlea, in the inner ear, and threaded the electrode wire into it. Then he placed the battery, magnet, & computer chip (about the size of a credit card) under my skin, and sewed me back up. He even fired up the implant and says it's working.
Here are a few photos.
(Unfortunately I do not have Photo Shop on my computer, so I can't turn these pictures. You'll have to turn your head, instead. )

Here I am in my paper gown. It was actually quite warm with the booties for my feet, too.
Kirk snapped this as I was recovering from surgery, cute, huh?
My left ear was the one I had surgery on, but the doctor wrapped a turban around my head to hold the bandages on. It was SO tight; it felt like my head was in a vise! Kirk clipped it in a few places the next morning to relieve some of the pressure.
Here I am getting ready to leave the hospital at 9:30 pm Monday.
Here is the banner that Heather made to welcome me home from the hospital.
My Mom came & babysat me all day Tuesday. She administered meds, made lunch & dinner and gave me lots of TLC. She was the "hands & feet of Jesus" for me. :-)
Here I am with my Mohawk. All I need is a few piercings, I'll fit right in with the Punk crowd.
Today (Wed) Mary Henn, my friend & neighbor, came over & helped Heather wash my hair.
I can't get the stitches wet at all. So they had to be careful.
I'm mostly sleeping and reading a little. Kirk brought the teak lounge chair in from the yard so I can be in an upright position that's comfortable. I go back to my doctor for a follow-up appt. on July 7. Then I have to wait unitl July 20 & 21 for my 4-hour back-to-back sound processor hook-up appts. Then the work begins! I will need to work hard at reprogramming my brain to get used to the new "digital"sounds.
I have received many phone calls, emails & even cards! I feel loved & cared for. It is a blessing to be at the receiving end of the body of Christ!

6 comments:

ShackelMom said...

Great pictures, love the mohawk! I am so glad it went so smoothly, and that Kirk was able to loosen your turban. I am so glad you are able to just rest!

Anonymous said...

Yaaay, my favorite #3 girl!! I was there when the bandages came off. What a thing, being wired for sound. We love you Poppa

Nathan said...

so glad things went well! hope you can relax and just allow everyone to take care of YOU! :)

carol

Robin said...

I'm so excited that you are able to have this done. I'm so happy for your future!

Unknown said...

Happy for you, and so glad everything went well with the surgery. Just soak in all that required rest, even if you don't feel like it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see an update! Sooo happy for you to have had it done! Thanks for the updates. We're praying for you.

Erin & Jim