Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cochlear Implant-Part 5

Here is a picture of the house Ear Institute in LA. The doctors here are the ones who invented the cochlear implant in 1973. I sure am grateful!! I went back today for another long appointment. After tweaking and counting beeps, I got another audiogram. It showed that with the implant, I now have normal hearing!! My left ear has gone up 30 decibals points. I asked Dawna what the prognosis was, and she said she'd tell me after some verbal tests. So she said sentences that I had to repeat. Then I had to differentiate between words like teak & talk, grape & group without lipreading! I got 100% and she said my prognosis is FANTASTIC! Yahoo, I am SO grateful!
After my appointment Mina & I went to Langer's Deli for a delicious sandwich. When I got home from there, by surgeon called me and wanted to see my ear. Dawna had told him that it was still sore, so I zoomed down to UCI for him to check it out. The cartilage is inflamed still so he prescribed another round of antibiotics and a stronger steroid salve. I'm still not using the phone without my other hearing aid yet, and I have lots of gadgets to figure out, but I'm so hopeful. :-)

3 comments:

Erin said...

That's so exciting, Aunt G!!!

Unknown said...

Hurray!! This is incredibly exciting, and I am so happy for you.

Jan G said...

Woopie! It is good to hear you are making such good progress, and I am getting into your blogosphere!