Sunday, January 13, 2008

Open letter to Daddy on his 84th Birthday


Luanne or Robin could have written this, too, I just happened to this year. Here is Daddy reading this letter at his Birthday party. Mom bought delicious chicken and pasta from Lascari's, and made a yummy salad. It was much quieter that an restaurant. We had a lovely time!


On the event of your 84th birthday
1/4/08

Dear Daddy,
I am so blessed in many ways to be your daughter. You and Mom have taught us so many lessons by your words and examples. Your fairness, positive outlook, life of grace, enthusiasm for saving the lost, hard-work ethic, integrity, sense of humor, amazing communication skills and more have shaped me into the woman that I am.
I remember one Father’s Day when each of us got a letter from you. I read mine with tears, then called Robin to hear what hers said. Then Luanne called to see what you had told me. We each knew that the others would receive a wonderful letter as we had. Each letter outlined how proud you were of us as individuals. I’ve always been secure as your “#3 Girl” knowing that there is “#1 Wife, #1 Girl, #2 Girl and Me! You’ve always treated us fairly without showing any favoritism.
Your positive outlook on life has affected so many areas: our family vacations “Oh the Old Road is so much more interesting!” our whining & complaining “Now girls, let’s eat first, then continue that conversation after dinner”; on found money, “Oh good, Faith Promise money!” on having 3 teenage daughters at once “This phase will pass” and many more. You and Mom taught us that our car accident came with the greater purpose of seeing Patricia saved.
We loved hearing your stories at the dinner table about who you witnessed to that day at your insurance office. We knew that you sold insurance to support us, but the office with its constant stream of customers was really for seeing souls saved.
When I was recently studying “The Purpose Driven Life” I realized that it describes you perfectly. We are to take our talents, gifts, and abilities and use them passionately to serve God. You have done, and are still doing this so well!
You and Mom made an amazing team when you were the sponsors of the King Heirs and later the Adelphians. We saw you poring over your Bible, studying for one of your many weekly Bible studies. The college students and their life problems weren’t interruptions but opportunities. You both have affected so many people for God’s Kingdom.

Your integrity has spoken loudly over the years, as well. We remember riding along with you if you had to take a Biola girl back to campus after a Bible study or Co-Uni-Bus. We stood in the front seat between you; less anyone wonder what you were doing with a single lady in the car. We’ve appreciated how you have always been careful not to ogle women, or hug the many grateful ladies of your ministry, but to protect your sweet relationship with Mom.
Luanne got your sense of humor and Robin and I got Mom’s easy propensity for tears. Actually, I’m okay with that! Your sense of humor has lightened many a family discussion, ordeal, Christmas Eve family gathering or odd situation.
Of course, we all know that you are the King of Communication. and you get irked by those who don’t know how to communicate! Your WWII letters, Ray’s weekly letters, and the weekly email to 600 people are so YOU! You are the epitome of keeping track, keeping up, and generally disseminating information. Catching up on family news is something we’ve never had to worry about!
Your relaxed life of grace stands in contrast to so many people. I remember one of my childhood friends saying “Oh, you should never put your Bible on the floor!” Our Christian life wasn’t regulated like that, for which I am still grateful. The Christian life is to be fun, exciting, encouraging and relaxed. We learned this by listening to you teach Romans and Galatians and also by watching how you lived your own life.
Your love for your Lord has been the utmost example to us. Your generosity with money, time and effort for the Lord’s Kingdom is a shining example to so many. You are ending well, and we are so grateful to be your girls!
Love,
Your Favorite #3 Girl

5 comments:

Robin said...

Bravo! Well said, little sister! I can't get over how willing daddy (and mom too) is to do inconvenient things for people, and not make them pay by being told how hard it is. Dad and mom just aren't whiners! Didn't one of the nephews get stranded somewhere rather far away very late4 at night and have to call Gpa for a ride? I think I remember hearing that he woke up out of a deep sleep and said, "Okay! I was just going that way! I'll be right there!" Thanks for writing this very true letter. You represented my feelings exactly!

ShackelMom said...

Mine Too! Very well said! Dad and Mom have been such a great model of 'ministry is life' to all of us, as well as the joyous expectation of a life of grace, based on the goodness of God. We are among children most blessed!

Unknown said...

Thanks for writing and sharing this letter! It brought tears to my eyes, I am so thankful for such wonderful grandparents!

Erin said...

You have summed him up extremely well! I too am so very very very thankful for them!

Chette Nichols Jr said...

you all have blessed my heart beyond your knowledge. MAy Christ continued to be glorified in you and your families as long as he tarries.

Robert, you did a great job one that I envy in a Godly way. I have been litterally practicing what I have learned in "Grace" much more peace and contemptment in my life. Victory upon victoy without my lifting one mental finger except for an occasional "Lord, I surrender ALL"